If you are from outside of the EEA and you want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an overseas government language programme, research or a fellowship through an approved scheme, you may be eligible to apply for a Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) visa.

You will need to have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from a licensed sponsor in the UK before you are able to apply for the visa.

This visa allows you to work in the job described on your CoS and study (subject to restriction).

Visa Duration

The visa is issued for a maximum duration of up to 12 or 24 months, depending on the scheme you are applying for.


You can apply for your dependants (husband, wife or partner and children under the age of 18) to join you.


The Tier 5 category is not a route to settlement in the UK.

Please contact us to discuss this option further.